Facing a large tax debt can be devastating to your personal finances or your business. If you are unable to pay such a debt, you may not know where to turn. Tax collection notices from the IRS or the Comptroller of Maryland can increase your anxiety, but Delia Law can help. Our team will work to determine the best solution to your current tax issues with swift, accurate, and comprehensive legal counsel.
When a tax authority like the IRS or Comptroller of Maryland has taken collection steps against you and/or your business, understanding your options is a crucial first step. Delia Law can review the IRS’s collection attempts and your correspondence with the Comptroller of Maryland to determine your best available legal remedies. Attorney Dawn Delia and her team at Delia Law have years of professional experience handling complex tax collection issues for clients living in Baltimore, Maryland and surrounding areas.
Common IRS Collection and Maryland Tax Collection Problems
You may have received a notice and demand for payment from the IRS or the Comptroller of Maryland, or perhaps the IRS filed a Notice of Federal Tax Lien against your property. Both the IRS and the Comptroller of Maryland may also levy your financial accounts, garnish your wages, seize your assets or accounts receivable from your business, foreclose on real estate that you own, and work with third parties against you. These are just a few of the ways the IRS and the Maryland state-level tax authorities can pursue you for payment of unpaid taxes. When these enter the public record, you can face significant damage to your credit rating, which may further complicate an already stressful financial situation.
When facing any kind of tax collection situation, the taxpayer has a range of potential options for resolving the matter. Many people may not know of these options or how to initiate remedial action that can save them money and preserve their credit ratings. If you find yourself in this situation, know you don’t have to do it alone.
Options for IRS Collection and Tax Collection Help
Facing tax collection efforts at the federal and/or state level can be daunting, especially when you do not have reliable and experienced legal counsel to guide you through your available options.
At Delia Law, we provide IRS collection and tax collection help throughout Baltimore, Maryland. When you work with us, we will explore all available options. Some of the potential remedies available to Baltimore taxpayers in these situations may include:
- Filing for a repayment extension. Both the IRS and the Comptroller of Maryland are seemingly harsh when they send a notice and demand for payment of unpaid taxes. However, the deadline they provide you may not be the absolute last day you have to pay your debt. A Baltimore tax collection attorney can potentially help you file for an extension on your repayment deadline if you just need a little flexibility to be able to pay your debt without jeopardizing your everyday expenses.
- Arranging a repayment plan. Both the IRS and the Comptroller of Maryland are willing to work with taxpayers to ensure they not only receive the taxes due to these collection agencies but do so without causing financial ruin to the taxpayer. A tax collection attorney can help you determine if an Installment Agreement or other partial payment agreement would be in your best interests.
- Sending an Offer in Compromise. An Offer in Compromise essentially allows a taxpayer to satisfy their unpaid tax debts for less than they actually owe. Submitting an Offer in Compromise requires very carefully submitted documentation, and mistakes and omissions may constitute perjury since this option is subject to very careful review. It’s vital to have an experienced tax collection attorney help you construct your Offer in Compromise to ensure it is legally sound and viable.
- Qualifying for “Currently not Collectible” status. If taxpayers are unable to repay their owed taxes to the IRS or the Comptroller of Maryland, these agencies may be willing to apply “Currently not Collectible” status until their financial situation changes for the better. During this time, any tax refunds due to the taxpayer will automatically go toward their unpaid balances.
These are only a few of the potential solutions to IRS collection and state tax collection efforts made against you. Additionally, if you live in Baltimore, remember the Comptroller of Maryland can employ more aggressive collection efforts against you than you might face from the IRS. Some actions they can take include preventing the renewal of your professional license, business license, or driver’s license. You may also be unable to transfer or renew your vehicle registration until you satisfy your tax debt. Eventually, you might face additional civil penalties or even criminal prosecution for failure to pay Maryland state taxes.
Why You Should Hire a Baltimore Tax Collection Attorney
Facing federal or state tax collection efforts can be stressful enough, but attempting to navigate your potential options for resolution can be even more daunting. If you live in Baltimore, Maryland or the surrounding area and have been contacted by the IRS or the Comptroller of Maryland about unpaid taxes, a tax collection attorney is an invaluable asset.
A Baltimore tax attorney can help in many ways. A few include:
- Navigating potential options on your behalf.
- Guiding you through every step of your collection resolution
- Ensuring all the paperwork and documentation you must submit to the IRS and/or Comptroller of Maryland is complete and accurate.
Remember, both the IRS and Comptroller of Maryland typically aim to secure the largest down payment they can from unpaid taxes, as well as the largest monthly payments for Installment Agreements. Their ambition is to satisfy tax liabilities as quickly and as close to in-full as possible. However, they aim to do so while allowing taxpayers to maintain their personal expenses and professional activities.
If your current tax situation has become overwhelming or you just need advice to prevent it from becoming so, talk with our team. We can help you navigate the resolution process quickly and completely. Contact Delia Law today to learn how our firm can help you resolve your tax collection problems.
Maryland-Specific Tax Laws
By Mia Khattar COVID 19 has had a profound impact on the lives of business owners globally. Some businesses flourished while others crumbled under …
By Mia Khattar, guest blogger Covid-19 has had a profound impact on the lives of all Americans for better or for worse. Some of …